As the name suggests, pod systems are e-cigarettes that make use of a “pod” as opposed to a traditional tank or atomizer. They ultimately do the same job: they hold the e-liquid and vaporize it to deliver vapour to you through the mouthpiece. They often have a smaller capacity than most tanks, at between 1 and 2 ml, although some pods are bigger. The pods simply push into place in the top of the device and pull out when you’ve emptied them or want to switch flavours.
The rest of the device is similar to any other e-cigarette. The batteries are fairly small in comparison to mods, usually having capacities of 300 mAh,to 1000 mAh. The “capacity” of a battery basically tells you how long it will last between charges.
There is some variation between different pod systems.
The pods themselves that give the devices their name can either be “open” or “closed.” A closed pod comes loaded with e-liquid and it isn’t refillable, so you just throw it away when it’s done. These have the benefit of being easier to use. The downside is that your choice when it comes to flavour is limited.
An “open” pod is refillable, similar to an ordinary tank, so you can put whatever e-liquid in it you like. This adds a lot of flexibility to pod systems. Since pod systems produce less vapour and are generally less hard-hitting than sub-ohm devices, nicotine salts and pod systems are well-suited to each other. You can find our nicotine salts selection here:
Benefits of Pod Systems
So why might you want to try a pod system e-cigarette? What are the benefits of pod systems in comparison to traditional types of vaping device? These are a few of the most important points:
- Compact. Pod systems are much more compact than most modern vaping devices, which make them a great choice for people who prefer not to carry around something cumbersome.
- Easy to use. The “pod” design makes pod system e-cigarettes really easy to use. The pods simply pop in and out of the battery section, and many of them work just like a cigarette – all you need to do is inhale to vape. The most complicated thing you’ll have to do on some devices is refill the pod, but this is really easy too.
- Affordable. The cost of pod system e-cigarettes does vary, but on the whole they’re pretty affordable. They’re cheaper than most of the mods on the market.
- Satisfying. Despite their size being more in line with cig-a-likes, pod systems are generally much more satisfying to vape. This is especially true if you’re using high strength nicotine salt options. Pod systems are known to be the closest thing to smoking a real cigarette, therefore initially, it’s easier to make the switch from cigarettes to vaping; as it provides a familiar sensation.
- Discreet. Clouds aren’t for everybody and they aren’t for every situation. Sometimes you want something more discreet to vape, and pod systems are perfect for those times. Even if you use mods at home, getting a pod system for vaping out of the house has definite benefits.
Downsides of Pod Systems
Pod systems aren’t right for everyone, though. Depending on what you’re looking for from your vaping experience, there are a few things about pod systems that might not make them perfectly suited to your needs. Here are a few points to think about:
- Small batteries. The small batteries make pod systems compact, but there is a downside if you want something you can vape with for a long time. Some pod systems do have higher-capacity batteries, but in most cases they are quite small.
- Not great for clouds. If you’re a cloud-chaser, pod systems probably aren’t for you. The vapour production is still good, overall, but there’s a big difference between a compact pen-like pod system and a huge, hulking 200 W box mod.
Closed systems offer limited flavour options. If you’re using a closed pod system device, you’re stuck with the flavours on offer from the manufacturer.